Monday, November 4, 2013

The birth of Ty 10-11-13


Where do I begin?!
I thought the first baby was a scary delivery but our baby boy topped that scare! I definitely felt God's presence the entire time.
I went in for my regular checkup with my OB on a Wednesday and we discussed how my platelet numbers were gradually dropping and talked about our options. We talked about me leaving and starting steroids to get my numbers up or me having the C-section at 38 weeks which would be on that Friday. The reason for having the delivery early was to ensure that my levels were still at an okay level for an epidural. I felt that this might be the safest route but I was so emotional about going in in 2 days to have him. I worried if his lungs would be developed and if my levels would still be in the safest zone to deliver. My doctor said if I was his daughter, he felt this was what we were supposed to do. I can't say enough great things about this man and how he has been the best doctor in the world. He knows how cautious I am and  is always sensitive to this. We have the same mentality as to what is best for my babies and I adore that about him. Best. Doctor. Ever :)
On that Friday he said that they would do another blood test and if they had dropped below 80, then they would send me home to start steroids...talk about nerves flowing!
That day I ran to the store and started doing everything possible to get these platelet levels up! I ate a whole piece of salmon the day of, drank Pom juice, ate a pomegranate, ton of berries and vitamin c. Whatever was on the internet to raise platelet levels, I did it! I was determined to get these levels up so we could get this baby boy out safely!
Well, Friday comes and we check into the hospital and they have dropped to 78....I was so sad. :(
I knew there was no changing it so I talked over and over to the anesthesiologist about my options. At one point I literally felt that I had no options. I could barely hold it together each time it was just Dustin and I left in the room. They discussed many side-effects to having an epidural (hematoma, bleeding out, paralysis)---nothing good. They also talked about that the epidural might be dangerous to remove after a few days of being in me because of the low platelet numbers.
Finally they mentioned a spinal anesthesia. This is where the needle is inserted and then
removed quickly...nothing is still in my back but the anesthesia wears off in about 2 hours so they would immediately have me control my medicine with an iv. This also scared me but it seemed like this was what I was supposed to have done. I talked on the phone to my ob and he said that there was no guarantee that the steroids would work and my numbers could get lower (no way was this what we wanted!) so this was now the best option to him. I prayed and prayed and I suddenly felt a peace with this decision we were about to make. I knew the recovery would not be easy but I didn't care a bit as long as it was safe for me and Ty.
As much as I want to keep my babies in me as long as they need, I now wanted him out more than ever! I wanted this to all be over and done!

They sent me back for the anesthesia and I was so glad there were playful moods while I was about to have this done. I was terrified as to what would happen after they inserted the needle so the light mood in the room between the nurses and doctors was comforting.
After the anesthesia was administered, the anesthesiologist said it went beautifully and couldn't have gone any better...phew!! Now I laid back and prayed for a healthy baby boy.
Dustin was sent back into the surgery room with me and I once again felt comforted. I love this guy more than anything in the world. He was completely made for me and knows exactly how to protect me and watch over me. Dustin kept telling me it was okay while they were doing the surgery and I knew it was.
At 4:46, our beautiful baby boy was born! He was perfect in every way. He let out a precious loud cry which meant that his lungs were strong and he was ready to join the world. Dustin held him for the longest and the nurse that was by my side the whole time took the absolute best pictures with my phone! It was like we had a photographer in the room.
The most precious moment was when Dustin was holding Ty he was letting out little cries (sorry Dustin but he was :) :)  ) and then I said something and Ty immediately stopped crying and I knew that he recognized my voice. Dustin laid him on my chest in front of me and not a single cry came out...he just looked right at me and left his sweet eyes open. I had experienced this with Maddy and was getting to experience this again.
It only got better from there!
He was with me the entire time in the room except for a few hours on our last night (we were at the hospital for 4 nights) so we could get a little extra sleep before heading home. I don't think he spent more than 2 hours the whole time we were there anywhere but in my arms.
I am so in love with this guy and I can't wait to update with recent pictures!
These pictures say a thousand words!



















All Maddy wanted to do when she saw him is smother him with kisses! Camdyn just wanted to love all over him too.









Best hospital! I always feel like I'm literally on vacation when I'm here. This time you could order anything you wanted off of this menu, anytime of the day...All inclusive resort! ha!






















This precious boy has completed our family and will be our last baby to join us. God was completely in control with bringing him into our life (Dustin was set on only having 2...ha!) Boy are we glad that we do not have control over our lives, that God does! Dustin and I could not be more proud of our 3 kids that make our family so much better!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

So glad everything turned out ok. And yeah for a healthy baby boy!! Of course, I love the name Ty!!! Congrats!!!